13 Aug Uber
Uber is largely hailed as the advent of the gig economy, which is the idea that people will not work for any one employer, but instead will work on projects for any variety of companies desiring their services. While creating a new type of entrepreneurship for individuals, it raises a host of new legal questions for companies around the law of agency.
An investment firm has asked you to evaluate Uber’s legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers. Write an interoffice memo in which you:
1. Summarize the main principles of agency law and the term “scope of employment.” How is this term applicable when it comes to Uber and its business and the liability for its drivers?
2. Recently, an Uber driver lost control and killed his passengers. The driver was drunk. Should Uber be liable for the conduct of its driver in this situation? Why or why not? Use the law of Agency to back up your argument.
3. Identify the steps Uber should take to limit its legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
4. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment, one being the textbook. Note: Wikipedia is not an acceptable reference and proprietary Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Your Memo should include a heading, summary statement, background and recommendations. See the link for information on formatting here:
Note from teacher:
Also, there has been a lot of litigation and “guidance” from the Department of Labor on whether or not drivers of Uber are employees versus independent contractors. Please write your answers including a perspective from both. In other words, liability from the perspective of drivers as employees and/or independent contractors.
The focus of the assignment is on Agency Law which is covered in Week 8. The information and reading is found in Chapter 16 so please be sure to read the chapter before starting this paper.