07 Aug Social-Emotional Development Self-Assessment
This week we continued our journey into becoming the Whole Teacher. The fifth pillar of the Whole Teacher is focusing on teaching happiness and joy in learning as much as skills. This is directly related to social and emotional development. In order to meet the needs of our students, it is critical that you understand where you are at in terms of helping children to grow socially and emotionally. For this assignment, you will begin by completing the Self-Assessing Social and Emotional Instruction and Competencies: A Tool for Teachers (Links to an external site.) self- assessment developed by the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders at American Institute for Research. This tool focuses on five teacher social and emotional competencies, including self-awareness, self-management/emotion regulation, social awareness, relationship/social skills, and responsible decision making, (Yoder, 2014, p. 8).
After completing the self- assessment:
- Discuss which social and emotional competency you scored the highest. Conclude what might have influenced your score in this area. (1 point)
- Discuss which social and emotional competency you scored the lowest. Conclude what might have influenced your score in this area. (1 point)
- Explain whether you agree or disagree with your self-assessment scores. Make sure to support your explanation with specific evidence or examples. (1 point)
- Explain the leadership skills you possess that support the self-rating you received on the different social-emotional competencies (i.e., self-awareness, self-management/emotion regulation, social awareness, relationship/social skills, and responsible decision making) (1.5 points)
- Propose at least two professional learning experiences that could facilitate improvement in areas in which you scored lowest. (1.5 points)
- Summarize how you will use your self-assessment to design a classroom environment that incorporates evidence-based and developmentally appropriate strategies to promote social and emotional development. (1.5 points)
- Explain how completing this self-assessment activity has further helped to shape your philosophy of teaching and learning, and will further assist you in becoming a 21st-century educator. (1 point)
Research and Resource Expectations:
- Source Requirement (.25 points):
- At least two scholarly peer-reviewed or reliable sources
Writing and Formatting Expectations:
- Title Page: Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Academic Voice (.25 points): Academic voice is used (avoids casual language, limited use of “I”, it is declarative).
- Purpose and Organization (.25 points): Demonstrates logical progression of ideas.
- Syntax and Mechanics (.25 points): Writing displays meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- APA Formatting (.25 points): Papers are formatted properly and all sources are cited and referenced in APA style as outlined in the
- Suggested Assignment Length (.25 points): This assignment should be three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages