In 1973, Dax Cowart was involved in an accident and suffered the loss of both hands, eyes, and ears, and two-thirds of his skin area. The accident also killed his father. Dax spent 232 days hospitalized in a burn unit, followed by another 6 months at other post-acute settings. Throughout his ordeal, he repeatedly insisted that treatment be discontinued and that he be allowed to die. You are to research the story of Dax Cowart and respond to the following questions:
- Briefly describe Dax’s initial situation and his beliefs.
- Did Dax have the moral or the legal right to refuse care? Why or why not?
- Was Dax competent to make a decision? Yes or no. Explain.
- Were the physicians paternalistic? Yes or no. Explain.
- Were there any violations of the 7 universal principles of ethics? If so, what were they and how were they exhibited?
- Should the mother have been allowed to make the decisions for her son, in view of having just lost her husband? Why or why not?
- What were Dax’s beliefs in the later years of his life? Explain.
this should be at least 3-4 typed, double spaced pages. College level writing using APA formatting is expected. A cover page and reference page, with at least 3 scholarly references, is required. Title page and reference page do not count for the 3-4 pages of content. *May wish to use headings to differentiate each bullet.
- 4 days ago