10 Aug Interdisciplinary Communication
Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation that describes communication barriers within an interdisciplinary team and how those barriers affect patient safety and health care outcomes. Offer a solution in which you recommend evidence-based strategies to improve communication within the team and explain how the strategies benefit the team and patients.
The ability to effectively communicate as part of interdisciplinary collaboration is essential for patient safety and successful health care delivery.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the principles and practices of highly effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Describe communication barriers that can occur within an interdisciplinary team.
- Recommend evidence-based strategies to improve communication within an interdisciplinary team.
- Explain how specific communication strategies benefit both team members and patients.
- Competency 3: Explain the internal and external factors that can affect the health of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
- Explain how communication barriers between members of an interdisciplinary team can affect patient safety and health care outcomes.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, APA formatting, and mechanics.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
- How might communication styles and perceptions influence clinical-practice decisions?
- What types of patient issues might require interdisciplinary collaboration, both within a health care delivery domain and within a community setting?