In this assignment, you will investigate information concerning civil liberties and rights by looking at current issues involving the rights of individuals as presented by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Institute for Justice. Do NOT cut and paste your answers from these websites. Summarize and respond in your own words. 2 pages (cover and refrence page not included in work count)Directions
Begin by going to the ACLU website.
- What is the mission of this organization?
- Click on ‘Issues’. You will see several campaigns listed. Choose one and read the background material, including some of the additional resources (Current Issues and The Latest news/press releases.) Why is the ACLU so concerned about this issue? Summarize two current issues or press releases. What is your reaction?
- Click on ‘Know Your Rights‘ and choose an area that interests you. What are the most important things that citizens should know regarding that right? Did anything you learned about this topic surprise you?
- Click on ‘Defending Our Rights’. Read and summarize 2 cases that the ACLU is involved. Do you agree with the ACLU’s position on those cases? Why or why not?
Next, go to the Institute for Justice.
- What is the mission of this organization? What kinds of issues are they most concerned about?
- Under ‘Issues’ in the menu bar, choose ‘First Amendment’ and one other category. Summarize and react to at least one case from each category.
- After reviewing this material, how would you assess the efforts of these two organizations?
links part 1
aclu – https://www.aclu.org
know your rights – https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/
defending our rights – https://www.aclu.org/defending-our-rights
links part 2
institute for justice – https://www.ij.org
- a month ago