Using your course and textbook readings and the South University Online Library, perform research on the following:
- Assessment, diagnostic testing, and management of infectious conditions in a pediatric patient
- Differential diagnoses for presentation of symptoms involving infectious diseases in pediatric patients
After completing your research, consider this scenario:
An eighteen-month-old child, well-known to your practice, presents with a seven-day history of fever ranging from 101 to 104.7 degrees Fahrenheit. On the fourth day of the fever, the emergency department had performed the following tests:
- A blood and urine culture
- A complete blood count
- A comprehensive metabolic panel
The culture reports were found to be negative.
Today, the vitals of the child are the following:
- Temperature: 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heart rate: 120 beats/minute
- Respiratory rate: 20 breaths/minute
- Blood pressure: 90/40
Physical examination of the child indicates the following positive findings:
- Injected conjunctiva
- Palmar redness
- Magenta-colored lips
- Red macula
- Excoriating rashes in the diaper area
On the basis of the above information, respond to the following:
- What will be your differential diagnoses for this patient?
- What specific physical exam findings support these differential diagnoses?
- Of the differential diagnoses you listed, which would be the most concerning?
- What additional diagnostic tests will you recommend? Why?
- What would be your focus for caregiver education?
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!