15 Aug Ethics Essay 4
will be added to your lowest exam score.
In order to earn the maximum number of points- you need to follow this instruction sheet as closely as possible. The point on plagiarism is especially important: Committing plagiarism, whether copying word-for-word from the course text, the internet or any other source, can result in a flat F for the course, and your information will be sent to the administration for disciplinary measures.
A prisoner is captured who might know where a nuclear bomb is hidden in North America. The prisoner is not talking, but there is always the option of using torture.
Write a script or narrative (i.e., for T.V.) where three out of the following five individuals—an Ethical Relativist, a Divine Command Theorist, a Utilitarian, a Kantian ethicist and a Virtue ethicist—are arguing about what to do in this situation.
Make sure you make the central ideas of each position apparent (for instance, at some point the Utilitarian should state the Utilitarian formula).
Moreover: One of the three individuals you choose must win the argument. In other words, your script needs a hero.
As you write this essay, keep the following in mind:
1) The only resources you may use for this essay is the course text and your brain. Do NOT use any other source (no library books, no internet articles).
2) None of the gimmicks high-school students use to make the essay look longer. No narrow margins, no huge fonts, no big spaces between paragraphs. If I see any of these gimmicks, I will take points off of your score.
3) DO NOT QUOTE THE COURSE TEXT. Everything has to be in your own words!!!!
4) No rush jobs!!! Don’t hand me a skimpy little essay and expect a high score. You have to write as carefully as possible- I will be looking at your grammar and spelling as well.
5) Enjoy writing the essay: The best way to do this assignment is to get interested in the topic. I can always tell the difference between something passionately written, and something merely done as an assignment.